Thursday, September 25, 2014

Interview with "Innerearth" author S. M. Coan

Amazon Link
In “Innerearth”, you have created quite a unique world where most of the story occurs.  How difficult was it to describe a setting that is constantly changing and not even “there”?

Creating and maintaining the setting was very difficult. Innerearth is more impression than illusion. It is like describing an amorphous form. I considered that the book would be difficult to put on the screen for this reason. 
 
What gave you the idea of going with the “Innie” instead of “Outtie” space?

I've always enjoyed Science Fiction dealing with space travel and strange, new worlds, but I wanted to present the earth as a living organism and use that to explore the mysteries and urban legends of earth. It truly was an interesting project once you begin to consider it from that point of view.

What authors inspired you to write science fiction?

I read lots of Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Jerry Pournelle and Rod Serling when I was younger. I credit Stephen King for my character development. I now tend to read mostly mysteries and crime stories.

Which of the characters in your book do you feel the closest connection to?

The protagonist, Christian W. Falconer. I very loosely based the character on my time in the Army, so Chris was written more as myself than as a character.

How did you lay out the plot of the book before you wrote it?

I am actually an artist. Since the book deals with multiple characters, a time paradox and two worlds, I drew it all out on a 11" x 6' timeline, all color-coated and cross-referenced to my note cards.

What do you wish you knew before you started this journey that you know now?

I will definitely pay to have the work professionally edited and formatted. It is enough work to tell the story. I've always considered myself more a storyteller than a writer, so I'll step back and let fresh eyes have a go. Besides, by doing it this way, I have more time to work on the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment