Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A must have survival guide when your parents are older!

Amazon Link
"Elderly Parents With All Their Marbles:  A Survival Guide for the Kids" by Pamela Carey is one of those books that you don't know you need until you need it.  When your parents become older, the children have to make difficult decisions.  These could include moving them out of a home that they have owned for decades, selecting nursing homes and in-home care, and when it is time to "let them go" if that is what they decide.

Instead of having to learn what to do at the time you need to make a decision, it might be better to read about someone else's trials, errors, and learning moments.  Carey has beautifully broken down her experiences into 49 "rules" for people to consider along with her experiences with her parents that caused her to develop the rules in the first place.

I found this book to be an easy read and full of insights.  My parents are getting to the age that some of these rules might come into play.   I plan on sharing this book with my brother so that we can put together a "game plan" and be on the same pages with our decisions.  Thank you, Pamela, for sharing your experiences in this great "survival guide!"

Amazon Link

Goodreads Link

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found my book helpful, Nathan! Hope you also got many laughs.
    People tell me they are using the Appendix (useful definitions, websites, and phone numbers) as an indispensable resource, which pleases me. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard people discussing the care of their parents at a doctors office today. I had just discovered this book and recommended it to them. It sounds like it has a lot of good advice. I look forward to reading of myself.

    ReplyDelete