Thursday, February 12, 2015

Interview with Andrew J. Wilson - author of Invictus: Introducing Richard!

Amazon Link
It seemed to me that your character, Richard Cummings, was extremely well developed.  Did this happen before you wrote the book, or did he come to life as you wrote it?
 
 Honestly, Richard came alive as the story unfolded. When I planned this book the character was nothing like Richard, and nor was the story; but after page six it took on a life of it's own, went off in a new direction, so the development of Richard's character was dynamic.

It was pretty obvious that Richard has other adventures in front of him.  Are the already written, or in the works? 
 
 Invictus II is well on track but I still don't know what the eventual 'The End' will be for Richard. The trouble is, even if I sit down with a story plan all mapped out, as soon as the writing starts I'm like a court recorder, I just write down what I 'see' in my head, the story comes alive, it seems to create itself. I appreciate that sounds unusual but that it how the stories come about. 

If you could be Richard for a day, what mission would you give yourself? 
 
 This is a real tough question! I don't have a 'hero' complex but it would be one that would make a difference. If time was of no consequence, and modern history was the scope, it would be along the lines of preventing the JFK assassination, stopping Lady Diana from getting in that car, or taking that bullet that brought an end to the life of Martin Luther King. But if I am restricted to the era that Richard currently resides, ultimately I would want the job of investigating/ exposing the dirty politics and criminal activities of corrupt senior politicians.

Other than Richard, which character did you find yourself liking the most - and why? 
 
 I think Colonel Harry Simmonds, his character is still developing but he's an unassuming almost anonymous extra that has a strong moral compass; I like that.

What do you know now about the writing / publishing business that you wish you new before writing your first book? 
 
 In truth, probably nothing. The publishing business is ruthless, fraught with dangers and has its fair share of nasty individuals that are more focused on the destruction of rival talent or the exploitation of the naive - but that's no different from life. Had I known that I probably would never of written a book, never mind published it. The advice I would give is to be very sure of your motives for writing that first book, be true to yourself and be fair to your readers. There is not a single book written that everyone likes, yours won't be the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment