Monday, July 28, 2014

If you are a baseball stat freak - I have the perfect game for you!

Ok, I thoroughly admit that I am a baseball freak / geek.  Being a huge baseball fan, it would make sense that I am drawn to baseball simulation games.  But the problem that I often run into is that most games have the user bat, pitch, run - which kinda messes up the stats.  Plus, I like "dynasty" games in which you are the owner, draft, and have to work within a budget.  To me - it's all about the beautiful (yes, beautiful) stats that baseball creates.

If you are like me, then Out of the Park Baseball (they are up to edition 15 at this moment!) is the perfect choice for you.  With OOTP 13 and above, you can hold a draft, set it in any year that you wish (deadball, steroid era) and have players from every era pop into the draft at different years.  Or you can just pick a year, have your set roster, and go from there.

The greatest thing about this game is that you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.  The season I am playing has A, AA, AAA minor league teams that (hopefully) can feed your major league roster.  The computer can initiate trades, and is fairly good about not making a horrible deal.  Injuries, trade deadlines, rule 5 draft picks, minor league options, roster expansion, and almost every conceivable obscure rule that you can think of is included.

You can choose to simulate a whole season in about 5 minutes, or call every pitch of every game - it is all up to you.  The "action" on the field is all "text based", so if you are looking for a HD version of Babe Ruth facing off against Nolan Ryan - well that's not going to happen.  But, the stats are going to be a heck of a lot more realistic.

This game is hands down THE standard for baseball simulations.  Nothing can match it for the stats, playability, customization - it's like Prego - it's in there!

This same group features a hockey franchise game as well, and I am sure if you want to recreate the Johnstown Chiefs and the Hanson Brothers from SlapShot - I am sure there's a way!

This game is a 12 out of 10!  It has been my go-to prescription for many years to combat the most hideous man-made caused infliction ever created - the off season!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment